News

Sugar House

John Knight Jr. acquired the Great House estate from Sir John Young in 1693 and converted the house into Bristol’s second ever sugar house (after the St Peter’s Sugar House in another part of town), processing raw sugar from the Caribbean. 

The refinery was supplied sugar by slave plantations on the Caribbean islands of Nevis, Montserrat and Barbados, some of which were owned by Bristol merchants. In 1708 the sugar warehouses were converted into Colston’s Hospital (which later became Colston’s Boys School).

We’re building a
world-class
music
venue for Bristol